PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. – The All-Star break is the perfect time to take a physical and mental breather. It’s a much-needed break for players, coaches and staff to gear up for a playoff push.
Unfortunately, the break comes when the Northern Arizona Suns are playing their best basketball. They have won four of their last five games, tied for their best five-game span this season. Since the start of the new year, the Suns are 10-5, rebounding from their 7-14 mark in 2017.
With a 17-19 record, that means there are 14 games left to go with just over a month left to vie for a coveted playoff spot.
The good news for the Suns – an extra two playoff spots per conference are available in the NBA G League this year compared to years past. There are now six teams in the West who will advance to the postseason compared to four teams last year. Each division winner gets in, along with three “wild card” teams. The top two seeds in each conference will earn a bye into the second round
The bad news for the Suns – they are currently the 10th seed, needing to gain some ground over the next month.
If NAZ keeps playing like they have since the calendar flipped to 2018, anything is possible.
Take a look at what’s next for the Suns, and what each team’s schedule looks like moving forward.
SUNS: Feb. 21 at Memphis (15-24), Feb. 23 at Texas (22-16), Feb. 25 vs. Austin (24-14), Feb. 27 vs. Reno (20-16), Feb. 28 at Santa Cruz (19-18), March 2 vs. Memphis (15-24), March 4 vs. Reno (20-16), March 9 at Salt Lake City (12-28), March 11 vs. South Bay (23-14), March 16 vs. Raptors (23-15), March 18 at Santa Cruz (19-18), March 21 vs. Texas (22-16), March 23 vs. Sioux Falls (20-17), March 24 vs. Sioux Falls (20-17).
WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS AND REMAINING OPPONENTS
1. Austin Spurs (24-14)…12 games remaining…5 home…7 away
2. South Bay Lakers (23-14, 0.5 game back of first)…13 games remaining…8 home…5 away
3. Sioux Falls Skyforce (20-17, 3.5 games back of first)…13 games remaining…4 home…9 away
4. Texas Legends (22-16, 2.0 games back of first)…12 games remaining…9 home…3 away
5. Rio Grande Valley Vipers (23-17, 2.0 games back of first)…10 games remaining…5 home…5 away
6. Reno Bighorns (20-16, 3.0 games back of first)…14 games remaining…6 home…8 away
7. Oklahoma City Blue (20-17, 3.5 games back of first, 0.5 game back of the playoffs)…13 games left…7 home…6 away
8. Iowa Wolves (18-17, 4.5 games back of first, 1.5 games back of the playoffs)…15 games left…5 home…9 away…one protested finish on the road in Santa Cruz
9. Santa Cruz Warriors (19-18, 4.5 games back of first, 1.5 games back of the playoffs)…13 games left…6 home…6 away…one protested finish at home vs. Iowa
10. Northern Arizona Suns (17-19, 6.0 games back of first, 3.0 games back of the playoffs)…14 games left…9 home…5 away
11. Agua Caliente Clippers (18-21, 6.5 games back of first, 3.5 games back of the playoffs)…11 games left…7 home…4 away
12. Memphis Hustle (15-24, 9.5 games back of first, 6.5 games back of the playoffs)…11 games left…6 home…5 away
13. Salt Lake City Stars (12-28, 13.0 games back of first, 10.0 games back of the playoffs)…10 games left…5 home…5 away